Pilot Neonatal Intensive Care Programme at Da Nang Hospital for Women & Children 2013-2015
· 2013-2015 a 50% reduction in mortality death rate for newborn babies
· Between 2014 and 2015 there was a 30% decrease in the rate of positive blood cultures (late onset sepsis – cultures done >72 hours of age) and a 20% reduction in risk of dying where sepsis was theprimary cause or a recognised major contributor to death.
· A 23% decrease in the antibiotic days and number of babies on prolonged courses of antibiotics (>10 days). Antibiotic stewardship to prevent emergence of resistance is a vital measure in any infection prevention programme.
· 70% Increase in breastfeeding
· New equipment and improved infrastructure for neonatal care